Reproductive Sciences (RS) has an immediate opening for a full-time RS Lead Technologist. The primary assignment for this individual will be in Embryo Transfer with assignments in other areas of RS as needed.
Reproductive Sciences provides services to internal and external customers to help manage mouse colonies. Using assisted reproductive technologies, RS offers services such as cryopreservation, rederivation, strain rescue, and colony expansion. The RS team plays an important role in all of these services by producing embryos to cryopreserve or transfer to live animals. The RS Embryo Transfer team performs over 15,000 surgeries per year, transplanting embryos generated by IVF into host animals.
· Lead the ET team by coordinating daily tasks assignments and ensuring adherence to SOPs and Jax policies.
· Perform embryo transfer surgeries and associated support duties, including preparing culture dishes, washing embryos, preparing and managing surgical supplies, and maintaining lab equipment.
· Perform data entry and data searches in systems used in RS (CryoDB, Sharepoint, ETQ deviation database, Outlook).
· Analyze and monitor production data and make recommendations for process improvements.
· Operate equipment in the assigned area and ensure equipment is functioning according to specification. This may include microscopes, incubators, liquid nitrogen handling vessels, etc. Coordinate equipment repairs with vendors.
· Ensure lab inventory is maintained. Oversee ordering of supplies, reagent preparation, and coordination of quality control assessments.
· Adhere to SOP, policies and procedures. Maintain work environment by cleaning, organizing and supplying work space and areas within the department.
· Communicate with others in a proactive, professional, positive and supportive manner.
· 4 year BS in applicable field of study and 4 years applicable work experience in a laboratory/animal care or research setting or 2 year degree in veterinary science or other applicable field and 6 years’ experience in a laboratory/animal care setting or HS diploma and 8 years experience in a laboratory/animal care setting.
· Previous experience in reproductive sciences is highly preferred.
· Interpersonal relationship skills sufficient to function as an effective leader for subordinates and to allow RS Lead Technologist to be fully aware of interpersonal and organizational implications that accompany business relationships. Must build positive relationships with coworkers and members of other teams.
· Knowledge of college level biology and research methods that can be obtained through the JAX Laboratory Animal Science courses, the Jackson Laboratory genetics course (“Beyond Basic Genetics I & II”), or through successful AALAS certification at the LATG level.
· Strong written and oral communication skills sufficient to permit clear and effective exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels of sophistication
· Demonstrated, excellent computer software and database skills in Word, Excel, Outlook, AXAPTA, etc. and all other appropriate software used in Jackson Laboratory operations
· Works in a fast-paced team environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional demeanor
· Flexible and able to adapt to changing business needs
· Demonstrated positive team player able of developing and maintaining positive work relationships.
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.